Saturday, November 24, 2012

What you didn't know:RECYCLING (plastics)

11/24/2012

 The arrows chasing each other means something is recyclable, right? If I put an item with this symbol into my recycling bin its going to get turned into another product and not end up in the landfill or in the stomach of some poor wildlife! It's not so simple!




While these Plastic Resin Numbers look like they are in the recycling symbol some of them actually DO NOT get recycled. The only highly recyclable numbers are 1 and 2. 

According to the EPA,   "The recycling rate for different types of plastic varies greatly, resulting in an overall plastics recycling rate of only 8 percent, or 2.4 million tons in 2010.

They also stated that "Given the high cost of recycling, type 3 to 7 plastics are rarely recycled"!

I don't know about you but this was surprising to me as I thought any plastic with the recycling symbol on it meant it was recyclable and would be recycled if I put it in the right bin!

This blog is to follow my progress in my quest for change, but also to inspire others to change and educate you on WHY you should change. Why its important to me and in general! This information will make my life a little harder, I'll spend alot longer at the grocery store! I will have to sacrifice somethings that I want or I am used to for the greater good! Ultimately I think I will be happier in the end though!

No comments:

Post a Comment