Sunday, November 18, 2012

Intro

11-18-2012

It's my hope that someday many will read this blog. My goal in writing it is to educate, and persuade. I'm not a hippie but I do care about our environment. I care about the animals, the earth, and the people. Everyone, especially parents should! This world, the one that we are wrecking havoc on, its the one that our children and our grandchildren have to live on long after we leave it!

A few days ago I set out to educate myself on how to be more eco friendly... what I found out was disturbing to say the least. In the last week watching several documentaries and reading books I have found out just how much harm we are doing, and how much harm is being done to us!

Did you know that there are chemicals in everyday hygiene products, cosmetics, and personal care products that have been linked to causing cancer and diabetes? I, like most of you, assumed that if its sold in the store its safe to use.... not to mention I've used it all my life so it can't be that bad can it? What if you could prevent cancer by switching products, would you? I would! Females are born with the eggs that will become the next generation already in them, who knows what kind of damage we can do to those eggs before they become fertilized. Our skin in our biggest organ so anything we put on it gets absorbed! I will do a follow up blog in a few days to further explain the chemicals in everyday products and I will provide better options you can buy and I will try to even include diy options to make things at home to save $! Chemerical is one of the documentaries I watched about this, after reading about it from a few separate sources. It's a great documentary!

Do you know how your food is treated before making its way to the market? I'm not just referring to the cruel inhuman way that factory farms treat animals. Have you considered all the hormones poured into the animals which are then butchered and wind up on your dinner plate? Notice how your children are hitting puberty long before you did, those extra hormones just might be the reason! Now lets think about produce, how many pounds of pesticides do you think are poured on that?

Now to the part of the blog everyone loves to hate, the environment. We have all heard talk of global warming, we see the litter on the side of the road, we hear about polar ice caps melting and polar bears drowning, and we hear about deforestation. Many of us do absolutely NOTHING to give back to this world which gives us so much, it provides for us and our children!

For 19 years I have been like so many others. I heard talk about the problems but did nothing proactive, did nothing to give back... sure occasionally I would make a half-assed effort for a few days but then I'd go right back to my usual ways. I'm an adult now, I'm married and hopefully someday I will have a child, I might even adopt a second. As adults its our duty to our children to leave them this world better than we got it! We need to clean up our parents mess and ours up to this point so that they aren't left cleaning it up or left with a world beyond repair.

This blog isn't about ranting and complaining about whats wrong with the world, its about changing it. A wise man once said "be the change you want to see in the world", I'm taking his advice. I'm changing my life. My husband knows how passionate about this cause I am, he has seen my frustration, my tears, and my anger at the current situation and the fact there isn't more education and the press isn't really covering it as much! My husband is changing with me. While we aren't doing the No Impact Man Project (another great documentary btw), we are doing our own project.... which mixes different aspects: eco friendly, healthy, lifestyle, financial, etc. We aren't who we want to be but by the end of our journey hopefully we will be.

The No Impact Man Colin said something along the lines of being a snotty liberal where you judge others so you feel better, but in reality your not doing any good and just giving yourself a free pass... I don't want to be one of those people. I want to make a difference and I want to encourage other people to do the same. One person can make a difference, but together we can change the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment