Saturday, September 21, 2013

Are you getting your $ worth from your cable plan?

09/21/2013


I will be the first to admit that I love television, specifically I am a huge fan of HGTV and MTV. Since I became an adult and moved out on my own (in with my now husband) I found out the price tag for the cable I took for granted living at my moms house.

Most people pay around $100 for television a month, some people spend even more than that.



The glory days of Dish, Directv, and the other cable companies is over! When I moved out on my own and begin tending to my finances I quickly decided that we weren't going to waste our money on cable. We subscribe to netflix for a fraction of the cost and can find many series and movies to watch, my favorite discovery was the environmental or birthing documentaries (sadly most of these have been removed). Netflix does introduce new material every so often but you can't stay up to date on your favorite series, so I have some alternative for you all...


  • Hulu, I haven't figured out the benefits of Hulu Plus other than you can play it on sources other than your computer... however on hulu I can watch many new episodes of my favorite series for FREE
  • Amazon, here you can buy episodes of your favorite series for $1.99 each. If you only watch 20 shows a month that is $40, probably less than your current cable bill!
  • MTV, HGTV, many networks now are uploading their episodes and allowing viewers to watch for free, yes there are commercials but many cable companies sport those too!
Ultimately in this day and age if your paying for cable then you are paying to much. The cable companies are obsolete, they need to come up with a game plan to provide more competitive pricing, perhaps allowing users to only buy channels they want or its only a matter of time before they go out of business!

No comments:

Post a Comment