Friday, March 1, 2013

FreeCycle

03/01/2013

Hello, fellow bloggers and blog readers. I know its been way to long since I have posted on here but I'm starting again. Its a new month and I'm going to do my best to live it the way I want! I haven't posted on here since moving to my new apartment and sadly not much has changed in my life. I'm still forgetting to bring reusable bags more often then I remember, I'm still a fan of banning those plastic bags or requiring fees for them, I still care about the environment, and I still am not doing enough for it!

One thing I am a fan of and do use however is freecycle. I am a member in my local area on yahoo groups and I do try to list things on freecycle for anyone else out there who might want it before throwing it away. Freecycle is also a way to avoid buying things new, therefore goes along with the idea reduce, reuse, recycle!

Freecycle is more than helping the environment however, it supports our local community. When I did Spring Cleaning I found many pieces of clothing that I rarely if ever wore. Several of these pieces were from nice brands, almost brand new, but didn't flatter me. I had at least six responses asking for the clothes, and at least half of those expressed that they were in need of the clothing. Freecycle isn't comprised of just needy people however, there are often nice things listed as available on there. I personally have never received anything off of freecycle because its so first come first serve but I'm a fan of it. It's a great way to give things away to people in need or receive things whether your in need or not!

I use the freecycle yahoo groups although there is another one with the same idea. The other one has paid ads on it though is what I heard and they will spam you. I'm not sure if that is true or not but I have always been plenty happy with the yahoo groups freecycle.

Whether we want to use freecycle or not it is always great to recycle, reuse, and reduce our consumption. Other alternatives to freecycle that are similar and also great choices are yard sales, ebay, amazon, consignment stores, estate sales, etc. Whether you personally want to buy used or new you can still participate. Participate by giving away your used things even if you feel the need to always buy new.

I prefer to buy certain things new, bad maybe but true. Electronics I prefer new, lingerie obviously will never be bought pre owned, couches, mattresses, etc. However financially its brilliant to buy used cars since they depreciate so fast! I also think its great to buy exercise equipment used, dvds, books, and some baby things since they are used for such a short time period!

Step outside of your box and give something another life to save our resources! My next step outside the box will be revamping an apron which is white and blah that was my husbands to make it cute so I can wear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment