Thursday, October 8, 2015

Week 3: $50 a week for groceries

10/08/2015

This is week 3 of spending just $50/week on groceries! This week our total was $53.43, $3.43 over the $50 budget.

Every week I check the ad when it comes out and plan my grocery trip around it. This week I saved $15.54 or 23% due to shopping sales prices. I save the majority on our shopping trips by shopping for managers' specials; over 30% of my purchases this week were managers' specials.

My weekly managers specials included:
Horizon Organic 2% Milk 1/2 Gallon $1.99 (2)
Portabella Mushrooms                         $0.99
Flatbread (Garlic & Original)              $0.99  (2)
Dole Salad Kit                                      $0.99
Organic Salad                                       $0.99
Organic Baby Carrots                           $0.99
Horizon Organic Cottage Cheese         $1.99
Organic Soymilk 1/2 gallon                  $1.29




This week 40% of our budget went to 4 items: Snow Crab, and (3) 12 packs of Dr. Pepper. If we had omitted these purchases we could have spent around $30 this week. We did get 30 items for $53, and the majority of them ARE healthy.

I don't know if $50 a week is enough to sustain us over the long run, but even we need to do one bigger shopping trip a month or every other month I'm still seeing lots of benefits to limiting our weekly spending.

Benefits of the $50/week budget: 

  • less food waste
  • saving money (before I would spend $70/mo and up)
  • prioritizing
  • shopping consciously
  • using up the food previously purchased

Every week I'm going to start featuring another blogger's grocery haul. This week the featured blog is comehomeforcomfort. Her haul is pictured on the right and is diverse including chicken, meat, produce, milk, cereal, etc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment