Conventional store bought candles contain all kinds of toxins. I could write about it and explain how bad they are/what is in them, but that has already been done. If you want to read all about what is in your store bought candles then you can read about that here and here. The bottom line of store bought candles is they are NOT good for you or your family, even soy/beeswax store bought ones often contain paraffin or "fragrance".
I bought my first essential oils about a year ago, smelled them and barely used them. I was going to make my own laundry soap and cleaners, but wasn't happy with the results for either so went back to store bought green/healthier brands. Months ago we began using the essential oils in our humidifier, but only the lavender, eucalyptus, or peppermint as those are great for respiration/immune system. Within the last month I made a oil rub for my husband when he was getting sick, something that helped him! I'm a big fan of essential oils, as they are a natural fragrance with health benefits!
When I found out how bad the conventional candles are I decided I didn't want to buy any anymore. I started looking on Etsy for beeswax candles but found them to both be expensive, and have questionable ingredients at times. Instead of spending $11 plus per candle I decided to try my hand at making my own.
Here is a picture of the candle as it was cooling. I reused an empty candle jar I had. The candle smells AMAZING. I used 30 drops of essential oils (a mix), and it is 1/2 beeswax 1/2 coconut oil. The only problem with the candle is the wick, I opted for a hemp wick and the wick is too small so I need a bigger wick or to put a couple of wicks in.